I was heart broken to read Marie’s name in the paper, I gasp then had an immediate flash back to our days working beside her at Gartner’s. The paper boy would drop the paper off & she would quickly turn to the inside cover, I never wanted to read her name under that category.
Marie was a dear friend, even though 30 plus years separated us. We shared many stories and many more laughs. She was always a good sport w/ the teasing that would come from us, she was willing to believe anything we would say & classically say “no” not loud but in her drawn out tone of disbelief. When she’d have something important to say she’d get up really close and hold your arm & whisper. I’d say, “Marie, I’m the only one here you don’t have to whisper,” she’d laugh.
We would contemplate the lasted Fox News Greta VanSustren story that was highlighted the night before. I hope now she has the answer to what happened to Natalie Holloway.
She was a killer dresser, she styled each and every day. I noticed a niece wearing her rust wool coat at the funeral; it still looks great & was nice to see her style continue. Boy, did she accessorize from her pins, earring, necklaces plus her extensive silk scarf collection, oh how could I forget her bracelets – I can still hear them clanking on the countertop as she wrote up a sale.
I think I can blame her for my need to follow every meal up w/ a piece of chocolate. She always had a few dark chocolates to share. I loved how she didn’t like milk, but knew she needed the calcium so she’d drink chocolate milk. It was a sad time when she had to retire to focus on her diet and staying healthy, we were beginning the going out of business process & suddenly she just wasn’t at the counter flipping through papers and clanking those bracelets.
We would keep in touch, but I haven’t seen her in quite a while. Events would happen in my life and I would make sure to send her a card w/ a picture so she would know. There just is never enough time, but I have so many memories. I’m lucky enough to share these memories w/ Nick who worked w/ Marie for a few years too.
In death it seems Marie still ran the show, everything planned as to not have anyone make a fuss over her. That was just her way wasn’t it; she taught me so much she was a beautiful person inside and out.
I am so thankful to have known her, and lucky to have loved her.
1 comment:
marie died?! that's sad.
Post a Comment